Saturday, December 20, 2008

New Class Now Available

So, for some months I have been considering starting a new column here at T.A.A.R.

As you may well have gathered, I love story telling. The conflict, the resolution, the adventure created by brilliant people, and illustrated by your minds eye (reading) or simply visually enjoyed.

That is why I started SpentCasings, to collaborate with my cohorts in a mutually appreciated form (for me, it's a love affair), which failed miserably. (yes, you can read that however you want.) For whatever reason. I don't care any more. I have gotten over the disappointment. And I have not forgotten about SpentCasings either. It just seems like I have.

Then I tried to encourage the exchange of ideas in reading literature with The Looking Glass Wars. And that fell flat too. But that's okay. S'all good.

And to prove that I am undaunted, unfazed by past failures, I am going to begin what I call "Film Deconstruction 101: An interactive study of movies, what works, and what doesn't."

This is the After Action Report after all.

As you may have noticed I like movies, and what you may not have noticed, I am interested in making movies. I also believes that a wise man learns from his mistakes, and an even wiser man learns from ANOTHER MAN'S mistakes. If I can avoid the mistakes that others have made, why wouldn't I?

So, look for Film Deconstruction 101 in the coming weeks.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

i'm not sure what you're talking about. Regarding The Looking Glass Wars. I know several people who read the book on your recommendation and didn't we talk about it? I was pretty sure we did...

Nicky Story said...

Count me in for the film deconstruction 101 - I'm with you in the liking movies category and also love the whole process - well maybe not the actual writing of screen plays part - but everything else! :)

Incomplete said...

Jak- uh, No. Everyone said, "Oh, that story sounds great" and I invited conversation about it, but then nobody every came back and said "I read it, and this is what I like/hate about it"

NikNik (that's your new dwarf name; you would be a blonde dwarf; theiy're slightly more acheived in their lives than their cousins the Red Dwarfs and the Black Dwarfs.) Look forward to your participation

Rebecca said...

ok, sorry 'bout that. I guess I talked with my sisters about it. I thought that you and I talked about it!!!

anyway. I loved it.

Can't remember anything about it that I hated. I also read the sequel Seeing Redd. I wish he would publish the third installment.

Incomplete said...

Yeah, I'm waiting for it too. I didn't really like how Seeing Redd ended.

He's a good writer. I like his style. Smart and simply elegant.

Rebecca said...

did you not like the way it ended because it didn't have a conclusion? Because it left us hanging waiting for the next book?

I agree with that. At least, if an author is going to do that he should plan to publish the next installment at least within 6 months...

Nicky Story said...

how come I have to be a dwarf? I like elves more than dwarfs... and I don't even like them. Pointy ears and all... kinda creepy. I like Aragorn the best (and yes-I'm talking about LOTR, I could watch all three of them over and over and never get bored - and probably still jump in fear and cry in sadness evertime!) Though I am quite comfortable with the nickname... :) Pun intended...
Happy New Year!

Incomplete said...

I thought Seeing Redd ended well, nothing really hanging. It wasn't like some books that I have read that leave you hanging right in the middle of a conflict, like The Two Towers. It will be interesting to see how the third one plays out.

And NikNik, you don't have to be a dwarf if you don't want to be. And I was thinking more along the lines of Narnia, even though now that you have brought it up, I like Middle Earth MUCH more than Narnia.

I was feeling rather convivial that day.

And I like pointy ears, at least how Jackson did them.

Rebecca said...

i don't get it? first you say you didn't like how Seeing Redd ended and then you say it ended well???

*iz confused*

I'm re-reading Seeing Redd right now...

Incomplete said...

OKay, I like how Seeing Redd begins as a fresh stand-alone novel and ends as a fresh stand-alone. What I didn't like was the whole ecumenical "one day there won't be any black or any white, we'll all just be grey." Why shouldn't good imagination thuroughly tromp on evil imagination? And then continue to hold all the power after it's won the war?

Rebecca said...

I don't remember that...? I just read the book earlier this year... can you give me some examples?