Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Looking Glass Wars

So, Belle and I were at Borders one night. It was a rare, almost freak like date that we had. (She just asked me where the "freak" came from and I said it was because it was our second date in two years, yes, that's including our anniversary) When we first got together [courting, dating, interested in each other (you get the picture)] that was our Hot Date. We'd get a cheap dinner and then go to Target or someplace and then end up at the book store for an overpriced cookie and some Stuart's Orange and Cream.

I love books. I have always been envious of those libraries that you see in shows with thousands of leather bound volumes stacked to towering heights.

It was on that night when we were at Borders that this caught my attention


I guess you can see why.

Now of course, I was naturally suspicious. The whole "Fantasy Just Declared War on Reality" line will do that to you. So, I picked it up and read the back cover (it was the paper back edition) and my curiosity was further piqued, so I read the prologue, and then thumbed to about the middle and read a few pages and then thumbed toward the back and read a few more pages, and having done that, I decided that I wanted to read it. I checked the price: eight somethin'. No biggie. BUT, I have made a commitment that I will never buy another book without first knowing that it is not a waste of money. The last book I bought on a lark burned me. Did the whole skim through previewing and missed some junk. I don't even remember what it was much less what it was about. That's where those kind of books belong: forgotten.

So I did some digging and found it at one of the local libraries (we have three libraries within 12 miles) and of course I made a special trip and picked it up.

I was surprised. Not only did I like it, but it is actually really good.

It is written for about the 13 and up range. It's simple, without being juvenile, and engaging enough for me. Maybe I'm telling on myself too much. Hmm. It is in fact better written than many adult target books that I have recently read.

I know, I know, you're all demanding; "BUT, WHAT IS IT ABOUT?!"

It is about Alyss Heart. What really happened and how her true story came to be twisted and turned into a nonsensical thing called, Alice in Wonderland, by none other than Carrol Lewis (Yes, it's supposed to be like that).

I was expecting it to have witchcraft and magic, what with the word "Fantasy" printed on the front cover, but it didn't. Oh, what a relief. Imagination is the tool of preferred use and that only works in Wonderland, mostly. Oh, did I forget to mention that it takes place in both Wonderland and "our" world. It does. And I found it to be in keeping with Mr. Doug Phillips essay on fantastic writing. Black is black. White is white. And the author, Frank Beddor, makes some very good observations and statements. And from what I can remember of Alice in Wonderland (it's probably been fourteen years since I read it) it's better than the original. Just like the old saying: "The imitation of the original is better than the original, but the original is better than the imitation of the imitation." Of course, it is probably not that hard to write something better than an opiate trip induced hallucination.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the sequel (it's a trilogy), Seeing Redd. And it ended like a stand alone. I hate books that end right in the middle of major action and say: "Buy the next one to find out what happens, and we're going to make you buy another to really find out what happens."

So if it sounds interesting, read it, and we can Book Club it.

14 comments:

Erica said...

I don't know what sort of a retort I should use concerning the comment you left on my blog. I can only laugh. Sure I was fishing for sympathy comments. Ya right. :) Anyways, thanks for the comment. Your comments are some of the best.

About the book, it does sound interesting. I'll check our library.

Rebecca said...

It is written for about the 13 and up range. It's simple, without being juvenile, and engaging enough for me. Maybe I'm telling on myself too much. Hmm.

Hahahahahhahahahah

*composes self*

sounds intriguing. I'll look it up

Rebecca said...

btw... what's up with people taking old stories and writing different sides to them? It must be a new fad. Like Wicked

Erica said...

Ya, like Wicked, and also like all the other Pride and Prejudice-type books, that are from Darcy's side, or so and so's side, etc.

Incomplete said...

Because there is money to be made in hot items like P and P.

But also I totally understand why people do it. They like a character or a story so much that they would like to see more, or, the author says to himself: What if it was really like this. I can totally see Frank Beddor going "What if Carrol got it all totally and completely wrong?"

I s'pose in a way it's like the Lewis and Tolkien writers club: they where not satisfied with what was avalable to read so they wrote the types of things that they wanted to read.

I know I have seen shows and said to myself: 'man, I would another story about that character'

As far Wicked goes, I know that the play was totally a Simpathy for Devil story. How Glenda was the real bad guy and the Wicked Witch of the West was just misunderstood. I haven't read the books, maybe you guys have, and can enlighten me.

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

the only thing I know about Wicked is that all the girls in the homeschool group are crazy about it. (and, no that's not a recemdation I'd follow)

Tyson is this the author you wouldn't tall me about Tuesday? Do you really have that many libraries around? Wow.

I ordered it in at the library, maybe I'll like it...

Incomplete said...

No, Lyds, that's not the author I was thinking of

It would be kinda hard for me to not tell you about Frank Beddor, especially after I blogged about him

Yeah, tell me what you think.

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely check into it. (this means asking Mom of course....) It's got me pretty interested.

And I like it when you tell on yourself. It makes you less of a 'stuffy' person and more of a real person.

Lady Dvora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Dvora said...

Will You be in Nebraska? I can't wait to talk books with you again!

Sorry, posted twice...

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I just read over my comment...I didn't mean that you were a stuffy person at all! I realize now that the "less of a stuffy person" means that you WERE a stuffy person...honest, I didn't meann it that way! All I wanted to say was that it makes it interesting when you tell on yourself... *sticks foot in mouth*

Incomplete said...

HARRRRR-RUMPPPH!

I AM SO . . . SO . . . SO,

not offended. I thought it was a compliment the first time around. It never entered my mind that you thought I was a Stuffed Shirt

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting....i think on of my friends did a book report on that book at school...i am not sure though. It sounds familiar!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.