Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Cold Truth

As many of you have doubtlessly observed, the Great IncompleteOne has been reticent to join the rest of the world in the broader scene of "social networking."

I've always thought: What's the point in telling people that I'm brushing my teeth, or going to the store, or going to the beach, or coming home from the beach, or my mood is "mine" or some such other nonsense?

Then I saw something just now that perfectly articulates what I never took the time to fully think through.

What?

Yeah. Though I have never been interested in Social Networking I have also never taken the
time to fully identify why. It just didn't interest me.

And when I say that I am not interested in S.N. I mean that completely. Not only do I not post the goings on of my life every five minutes, I don't waste my time by following the mundane happenings of the entire world.

I have MUCH better and MUCH funner ways of wasting time.

But as I said, I just saw something that says exactly what I have always thought, and more, and I encourage you to allow, your curiosity to lead you down the link, and your objective higher brain to seriously consider what is being said.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/#33273484

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

You sound just like every other person I've ever heard Facebook bash.
I will agree that FB can be dangerous. Especially for all those people using it that like to friend 100s of people they barely know and then upload all sorts of personal information. I will agree that Twittering is annoying. I don't get the Twitter thing. Way too many people being WAY too monotonous and giving us all WAY too many mundane details of their boring lives. And I've never used MySpace. Can't say anything about it.

BUT. I am a FB user. Me. That right there should tell you that FB is not so privacy stripping as some people think. Granted it CAN be. But, it doesn't have to be. I actually am thankful for FB. It allows me to keep in touch with people I would not ordinarily be able to keep in touch with. It's simply not possible to write letters or make phone calls to all 160 some of my FB friends. Some of them are close friends. Others are not so close, but still people I like to keep in touch with. I've found some very good friends through FB. I've strenghthened some friendships using FB. I've found long lost friends. I do NOT update everyone on my friends list with every mundane detail of my life, they do not know when I'm brushing my teeth. Come on. Really? For that matter, none of my FB friends are that stupid.
I can understand a desire to protect privacy and there's nobody forcing anyone using FB to give more personal information about themselves than they want to. FB has recently implemented a filter option which allows you to post information, status updates, photos, whatever and make them only viewable by certain friends which I think is an excellent development.

You certainly don't have to be interested in Social Networking if you don't want to be. No one's going to force you. But, you don't need to generalize Social Network users so much. The majority of us are not updating the world on our mundane lives every 5 minutes or advertising every detail of our personal lives inviting identity theft and Jack the Ripper to come visiting.

Please don't judge the whole based on the performance of some.
I notice you're not a FB user yourself... So, how would you REALLY know?

Incomplete said...

WOW.

Incomplete said...

nice picture by the way

much better than the Pocahontes pic.

Rebecca said...

"wow"?

huntinguy said...

Alen Jackson -I still like blognue.

Katie said...

I agree with Rebecca. If you don't have facebook how can you judge? You have control over what you tell, how much you tell and who you tell. Yes, SOME people overuse Facebook, updating about useless things that Most people don't want to know. That doesn't mean EVERYONE does. Don't judge a book by it's cover.