Monday, March 23, 2009

Frustration, Part 3

But it didn't stop there. More characters were created and given their own chapters, their own perspectives. So that Will, the character that had drawn me in, lost even more storytelling time. At the back of my mind, while I am reading about so-and-so, I was wondering "When are we going to get back to the story?" It was like commercials interrupting my favorite show.

Stackpole’s constant shifting of perspective, chapter after chapter, got to the point where I would skip ahead until I found the chapter that picked up where the last one left off. One time it was five or six chapters. Of course I did go back after that current conflict was resolved to my satisfaction.

I have never been the type of person who starts a book by reading the last chapter first. Therefore I did not know that Fortress Draconis was only Book One of Three until about seven-eighths of the way through, when it became obvious that there was no way that Stackpole could wrap everything up satisfactorily.

My philosophy is that there is as much joy in the journey, as in the destination. Sometimes even more. (Like a road-trip with good buddies to a lackluster beach with no reef and flat waves.) Unfortunately, stories are not exactly, dirrectly comparable to real life experiances. That’s why we have them. To satisfy some vicarious desire that we have. The ending of a story can either ruin the journey, or redeem it.

So Will travels through out the realm, slowly maturing as he goes. Rallying together some of the other main characters that I have mentioned above. He meets the Azure Spider and finds out that the thief is nothing to be idolized. He travels, towards the end of the story, to Fortress Draconis, for which the book is named, only to leave it promptly before it gets blown to little bits. And the book ends with Keyden’s Crow, who has become a father figure to Will, being arrested and led away for being a traitor to his home country. A grisly death awaits him. Or does it? We don’t know. Why? Because he left us hanging!

The end.

Or rather, Stackpole saying something like "Next book coming soon; I know, I know, Write faster." Literally.

Thank goodness that this series was published 01-03. Or my current opinion would be even lower. I hate cliffhanger endings in books and movies. Cliffhanger endings are a dishonest, cheap, and unethical means to fleecing "fans." Entertainments that employ this gimmick are created for the sole purpose of making money and should not be patronized, and in fact, are worthy of a silent boycott. I think that cliffhangers belong at the end of chapters to keep you turning and at the end of TV episodes to get you to tune in next week. But not when you have to wait an entire year and then spend seven to twenty-five bucks to get strung along for another two hours or four hundred and fifty pages.

That said, thank goodness for libraries.

So, I ran quickly to said library and plucked the sequel off of the shelf and dove in.
When Dragons Rage was pretty much more of the same.

To be continued . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your philosophy :) It applies to life very nicely

Rebecca said...

Have you read the Attolia series by Megan Whalen Turner? The Thief is the first one. you might like them. or not. no promises. :)

Incomplete said...

What are those books about again?

Lady Dvora said...

I'll let Jak give you a summary.. But I like them.

Su and I were just having a similar conversation about reading a book..and at the end feeling as if it was a complete waste of time. I've taken to only reading books that are recommended by someone I know...

Incomplete said...

I can understand that. But I'm trying to expand my horizons. Hey, I'm willing to be your pioneer. I'll take the arrows so you don't have to!

When a book turns out bad, our story compels me to follow it to its ending, I feel cheated because I could have been reading something else!