Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Conformity

Soo very rarely does something come across the net that I find genuinely interesting. You know, all those quizzes and test that you can take. Like "What does your front door say about you." As if you, if you're still living with your parents or with someone else, even chose the color of your door, or even worse, chose your house BECAUSE of the front door. Or the "What kinda mocha are you." Or there is the quizzes that you can take, but never answer every question honestly or at least directly. Come on, you know what I'm talking about. For example: Q: What is your favorite color? A: That color that is like orange but without the yellow, and like pink, but without the white.

Now imagine that the question is not about colors, but something that is actually important. Come on, you know what I'm talking about!

You've prob'ly noticed that I have never done those. What's the point, if I'm not willing to answer each question with the same degree of directness and honesty? It would feel like taking a test but failing it on purpose.

But then I saw something that was being passed around that I thought was really cool. The Blog Readability Test. The concept of something external looking at my blog and judging it, for some reason appealed to me.

So I bounced around to everyone's blog (yes, the entire blog-o-sphere) and saw the collective results. And then I tried mine. And nothing happened. It said "We were unable to check the URL you entered."

"What?" I squinted incredulously at the screen. So I tried it again. Same result. "This stupid thing," I muttered and navigated away. But that wasn't the end. I couldn't help but think about it. I was faced with a problem and I wanted to find the answer. Silly. I know. Then it hit me, lets try it without the preceding web directions. You know, the http and the www. thingies. So I did that. Copied my url without the webdircts and bounced over to the readability test sight. And what did I see? DU-UH! They had already hardcoded the http:// into the page!

So it should come as no surprise that my readability is:

blog readability test

TV Reviews

Go figure. I am in agreement with CowgirlE and Daisy, the lower the scoring the better. If only I could have gotten a Preschool level! Then all my *ah-hem* nemeses would be vindicated.

But Belle and I couldn't figure out how MY blog, with it's monster posts and big worded rants rated an Elementary School comprehension level and hers, with short observations and lotsa pics got a . . . well I'll let her tell you for herself, if she wants to.

9 comments:

Lady Dvora said...

Hi!
I was justing thinking about you all! How's life?

Incomplete said...

It. Is. Good. I have been thinking about you alot lately. I miss you. Are you doing well? How is work?

Anonymous said...

Although fun, I have no faith in the Blog Readibility Test website. You could attribute this to the fact that I got "genius" and I'm ticked off, but actually I'm not. There's a queer sort of joie de vivre in the idea that genius is a fitting word for something you wrote. Even if, in truth, it is no complement. My sisters keep reminding me that it really is an insult. Anyway, I have a hard time believing them because their answers vary so much from blog to blog. Is my mom's style of writing really so different from mine? I'm a little skeptical...
P.S. are you thinking of coming to the November Conference?

Shannon said...

Merry - we just got a note that there isn't going to BE a Nebraska conference....and I was talking to Kate, and we both were bummed for the simple fact that it meant no going to the Wood's house after the meetings! :( I was hoping we'd get to go this year (both for the meetings and for the afterwards fun!). - Shannon

Shannon said...

...and as an afterthought... I hope "Merry" was OK...I so don't know why I called you that...it just seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anonymous said...

So huh, who says you and sister Kate can't come and hang out at our house anyway? ;)
I heard a rumor that the conference might be cancelled, but I didn't know that it had been confirmed.
Merry is fine as long as it's spelled that way. I don't generally like it spelled "Mary." :)

Incomplete said...

I was wondering if it had something to do with "abstractness." Blogs that have a lot of pictures but not a lot of text force the lurker to think more: "what was the poster thinking when they took this shot?" "What is the poster trying to say with these shots." Where as on blogs like mine, the poster just tells you what they think "in small words so that you'll be sure to understand."

That's just what I was thinking. But I also agree with you LoLo, I am highly scepticle of how sights like this actually work and how acurate they really are.

To test the sight, albeit briefly, I navigated away and re-enterred my sight and Belle's sight: with the same exact results as before, respectively. Sooo, I don't know.

That would be fun, to see you all over Thanksgiving. I haven't been on a horse in 14 years.

Anonymous said...

Just trying to keep things clear here...am I Lolo? I'm happy to be, but I want to know if I am. :)
14 years? That was 1994! (I only know that because I happen to be 14 years old)I've heard rumors and wifty stories of you riding and some sort of ranch life in California. Did you have horses? Did you train them for anything in particular?
Perhaps these questions would be better fit in an email...

Incomplete said...

Yes. Merrill Jane->Merry->Laurel->LoLo. Sorry, I'm kind of a knickname junky. And they tend to evolve. Sometimes.

My dad raised quarter horses, and I don't know why. I know that he used to go to "horse meets?" I have some pictures of one of his horses tied up outside someones house. I don't really remember the horses too much. Vague memeories of Dad's brood mare Glasslipper, that we called momma, and some of her later foals, including "my" horse, dad's last, called Summer. He was a skewbald paint that stood 17 hands. He was a good looking horse. I have pictures. Next time you all are through you'll have to ask me for them.

And yes, the last time I was on a horse, you were a baby or not even born. And I must confess, it was a rather disapointing experiance. It was in Colorado and there was all this open sage ground, but I was stuck riding figure-eights in a paddock, uncomfortably hunched over with my hand on the blanket in front of the pommel, per the horse owners instructions. Looking back, I think he didn't want me ruining his horses mouth.

And you can ask all the questions you want here, that is fine.