Sunday, May 11, 2008

Long time no . . . write

So there really isn't any room for me to say "It feels like forever since I've written" because it has been.

My excuse? The usual: extremely busy. Everyone wants to be their own boss, own their own business, reap the benefits of cutting out the Middle Man who's getting all the money any way, of orchestrating their work schedule as they like. They want all the glory, not realizing that owning your own business is a LOT of work.

I knew that it would be, but I didn't know how much. I think that it's something like courtship. You find yourself madly in love with a person and you just want to spend all of your time with them and you don't see any of their faults, the fire, or passion, is burning white hot, welding hot(I like to use blacksmith terminology). Sparks fly (the euphoric ones) and all is bliss. Then you get married and the fire cools, as it is supposed to (if the fire stays welding hot for too long, the metal burns up) and you discover that you never REALLY new the person you were so crazy about. Then the work begins. I believe that God created this. Because if we new before hand how difficult it was going to be, very few people would ever do it willingly.

I think that that is why so many business (and marriages) fail. Because they didn't know what they were getting into (who does?) and they were never able to get the heat just right. In business, they work too hard, take on too much work, fail to control the quality-the fire got too hot. Or they didn't work hard enough, or they thought that they didn't have to work hard, or they "lost their shirt" too many times-the fire was too cold. I have come to strongly believe that life is a razor's edge. Jesus put it the best way: 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it Matt 7.

Pilgrims Progress depicts it as a walled lane. I don't agree with this view. I think that the Christian walk, and life, is a narrow hogback. On the left hand is the world and all of its sorrows, on the right hand is the Religious System and all it's confusion. I am always encouraged by Jesus' prayer in John 17 13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 ¶ Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 ¶ Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Doesn't that just reverberate in the core of your being?

I was saying that I didn't agree with Mr. Bunyan's depiction of the Christian walk. I think that the way is lined with narrow gates, Jesus Christ, admitting all who find it freely onto the narrow way. But not all travelers have experienced the long journey. Jesus again said as much with the parable of the hirelings; how the master hired men all through the day and payed them all the same wages at the end of the day.

But how did I get on to all of that?

I have been busy. The project that I have been on since last June is finally winding down. Pro'bly in the next three weeks I'll be all wrapped up. Of course, I have been saying that for the last three months. But my customer is awesome and the job has been really good. I don't have anything major lined up after, but God has always provided for us. Our needs are always met. I have discovered that I am only limited by my own motivation.

So, okay. I think that that is probably pretty good for now.

P.S. For those of you who have linked to me, or tagged me, thanks. I love you guys, and I love that you're thinking about me, and please don't be offended when I don't tag you back. Feel free to ask me why, if you want.

I'm outy.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

ok, WHY?

don't say it's because you're so busy. that excuse has been used already.

I think what John Bunyan is trying to say with the walls, is that the only way to get in is at the gate. You can't climb over the wall, and jump in that way. Anyone can go to the gate. Was it "formalist" and "hypocrisy" that tried to climb the wall? I think they just wanted to go to the Celestial City/escape destruction/walk the "Christian" walk, but they didn't really have a heart to follow God, they had no conviction whatsoever. They didn't want to go by the gate, because, remember across from the gate was Beelzebub's castle, and he attacked anyone that tried to enter at the gate. It's an amazing parallel. And, right now is a really good time to argue with me about it, because I'm knee deep in studying it.

Cheers!

Rebecca said...

P.S. There is only ONE gate.... I don't agree with your idea of lots of narrow gates along the way. There's only one way.

Incomplete said...

Why don't I like to play Blog Tag? The short honest answer: it just doesn't interest me. The second, slightly longer, answer: anyone that I would tag undoubtedly will already have been tagged.
...
Okay, the guys who climbed over the wall, in Pilgrim's Progress, wanted all the rewards of Christianity, but none of the sacrifice.
...
As to arguing, I don't want to. But I gladly encourage discussion and conversation. Arguing, to me, implies two combatants shouting at the top of their lungs at each other, demanding that the other party adhere to their opinion. Discussion and conversation means that individuals of possibly opposing opinions can present their facts in a polite and considerate fashion. I strongly believe in the free exchange of ideas.
...
ABSOLUTELY! In the individuals life, there is only one door through which he can enter onto the "Christian Walk" that leads to God, and that is Jesus Christ. There is no validity in the ecumenical movement. 99.9% of all roads lead to hell. However, I beleive in a "Collective Christian Walk" where we find ourselves in companionship with others who have the same convictions as ourselves. But not everyone who is saved started at the same "beginning." In fact, some believers who were saved at the same time as their companions, DON'T end up at the same destination.

Katie said...

Just a quick comment. The wall in Pilgrims Progress isn't very long, I think. And it's depicts salvation, and I believe it only stretches from the cross to the Hill of Difficulty. Now, I could be wrong, but that's what I thought. Maybe the wall is more like the protect and provision of God to new Christians... another thought...

Rebecca said...

I really don't think that John Bunyan is saying that all Pilgrims start at the exact same point and travel the same path and meet the same people, yada, yada.

Not sure that's what you were implying.

Pilgrim's Progress is an allegory. The wall of salvation is symbolic of salvation being strong like a wall. Wicket (meaning small) is the gate, by which you enter the road.


I'm not sure what you mean by not everyone that is saved starting at the same beginning. If you're saved you start at accepting Christ. And the end point is heaven, or fullness, if you don't end there.. you got off the road somewhere.

Katie said...

O.k. I gotta jump in and agree with Jak here. You have to go through the Wicket Gate, it's the only way to the cross and you have to go to the cross and get your parchment. There is only one way to the cross and you have to go through it.

Incomplete said...

Okay, to KitKat's first comment: I think that the wall came into existance because of John 10:1, but that can only be my opinion as I can not ask Mr. Bunyan. And here Jesus wasn't talking about the sheep, but the shepards. I don't believe that God gives the new believer any special EXTERNAL protection. I think that philosophy is Once Saved Always Saved. What He gives them is internal, New Found Virtue by wich they can resist the old familiar external temptations. I believe that it is the paradox of Salvation: God takes this worthless vessel, scrubs it clean from the dust and dirt of sin, polishes it until it shines, and then He thrusts it back into the world that He took it from. And not only does he put us back into the world but He commands us: I have cleaned you, now stay clean. And by the way, when I washed you, I uncovered numerous ingrained stains; here's the cleaning solution, here is the scrub brush, take care of them.

We are in complete agreement. All true believers DO start at the same place: the cross, confessing their sins, receiving Jesus Christ, proclaiming that He is Lord. John 14:6b "No man cometh unto the Father, but by me"

When I discribe the Christian walk as a hogback lined with "straight gates" I am not talking about the idividual experiance, but AFTER salvation. And I don't view these gates as bi-dirrectional. They only allow New Believers ONTO the Collective Christian Turnpike. But the way is lined with rest-stops and side tracks and diverting roads, with wich I can heartily agree with Mr. Bunyan, as he illustrated what ultimately happened to the two men that climbed over the wall.

What I meant by not every who is saved starting at the same beginning is that not everyone who is saved was saved at the same time. Their salvation experiance may have had only one point of similarity: they all came to the end of themselves. A man who is an alcohlic dying in the gutter is not starting from the same point as a twelve year old at church camp or a three year old at fellowship meeting.

Miss Alice said...

Nice to have your fingers back on the keyboard, Ty. I missed you.

Incomplete said...

You are far too kind. And I mean that in all sincerity.

"Hoooow Caaaaan Theeeere be any sin, in sincerely?" Music Man, anyone?

Anonymous said...

It is already far not exception [url=http://cgi3.ebay.fr/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=acheter_levitra_ici_1euro&achat-levitra]acheter levitra generique[/url] Analogues are available?