Thursday, April 2, 2009

Frustration, Part 6

Yes, that’s right. Will Norrington, the Scourge of Evil, the Bane of Wickedness Incarnate dies after nine hundred pages of adventuring.

And that is the end of book two. Will dies, leaving his companions dumb struck.

The End.

Or rather "Next book coming soon; I know, I know, Write faster"

So, I didn’t panic. I knew it was going to be a trilogy before I started the second book. I even read the back of the third book to see if it actually belonged to the trilogy, so I knew Will was going to die from page one of book two. I just didn’t know anything about the scenery on the drive there.
But I did know this: I was reading a fantasy.

I finished Book Two thinking, "Okay. They killed him. I knew that was coming. But he has dragon blood in him. He’ll come back some how. Stacky will bring him back some how. Lets find out how."

So, I went to the library and procured The Grand Crusade. And discovered it to be anything but.

The focus of the story was told mainly from that Princess that you’ll remember I could have taken or left, the Golden Wolf (I now remember that her name is Alyx, but I won’t call her that) and Crow.

For half the book they are lamenting the loss of Will the Norrington. Wondering what they are going to do, and doing what ever they have to.

For half the book I am waiting for the return of Will, the one that got me hooked some one thousand pages earlier. For half the book I am waiting for him return and say, "Here I am! Lets go kill the NorWitch!"

And finally, after dragging through two hundred, three hundred pages of Stackpole’s increasingly grating voice (more on that to come) I am finally told that Will’s not dead, he’s just waiting for some of his companions to find him.

Finally. At last.

So some set off to do just that, while others go off to fight in high combat.

Of course I am interested only in the rediscovery of my hero, Will the Nimble, King of the Dims, the Norrington.

And what do I discover? Stackpole has turned him into an enraged golem. At first I think that it really is a golem, in the pure Jewish sense of it being a cocoon, and that Will is incubating within the fire eyed stone monster. Or some such other High Fantasy nonsense. After all, he has dragon blood in him, and, and . . .

Wrong.

Will never does return. He never gets paired with the beautiful Lady Snowflake Isaura, who, though Evil Chytrine’s heir, helps to overthrow her.

Chytrine is killed and the various companions go on to be big muckity-mucks throughout the varied kingdoms. And what is left of Will, or rather what I am supposed to believe is left of Will, goes off into the Far North to relentlessly eradicate the remains of Chytrine’s army.

The End.

I felt so cheated. Robbed. Hood winked. For nine hundred pages I had been following the truly dynamic character that I first discovered hanging from a rope in a rainstorm, waiting to break into the room of the badest dude in the Dims.

And what do I get instead? Some forty-something, scar covered, white haired man named Crow crying like a little girl with a Princess that I found as intriguing a package of steel wool.

I want my money back! Oh, wait . . .

Thank goodness for libraries.

I want my time back! I want my emotional investment back! Oh, well, I didn’t really get in to it that much. In fact, I pretty much had to force myself to finish the last book.

So now you know the general points. Let’s now discuss the important points.

To be continued . . .

5 comments:

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Hi Tyson, Joe and I got your e-mail. We're sad you can't come but understand why, hopefully you can see a video of it some day!

"a Princess that I found as intriguing a package of steel wool."

You make me laugh :-)

Lady Dvora said...

"Thank Goodness for Libraries!"
-I definitely agree with you there.
I wonder what the author was thinking to send Will away like that. Did they want to leave an opening for more adventures of Will? Because they like him and want to write more about him? Or was he bored with Will and couldn't decide what to do with him...
I sometimes wander if authors try to avoid the clique endings...so they end up ruining the book instead.

Incomplete said...

No, I don't think he had/has any intention of continuing that particular story.

And yes, I think that he became bored with Will, despite the fact that the character was changing.

Something about how the story progressed leads me to believe that he had outlined the entire 1300 page cycle. So it's possible that he had always planned to "kill" Will, but then when it came time to resurrect him, he lost intrest in the character (more on that coming quickly)

And I think that you are dead on, that he didn't want to have a cliched ending. You know my opinion, that originallity is King, but you have to give your audience something that they like. You can't get lost in the "art" so that you forget the logic. I'm not saying that you have to have all your characters survive and get married and have a thousand kids and raise puppies. But slaughter your main, most dynamic protagonist after 900 pages?

Incomplete said...

Lady D, you have inspired me to think. And that, after all, has always been my main object here at AAR: the encouragement of character changing, productive thought in all participants.

"I sometimes wander if authors try to avoid the clique endings...so they end up ruining the book instead."

Does this then mean that we as readers NEED a measure of cliche? Specifically, do we need a "happy" ending?

My first thought is to say no. But I question this instinct. I know that I personally don't need a "happy ending." But I need a rounded ending. A logical and satisying conclusion to all of the preceding events. I need to be set down in a safe place, to disembark the train onto a brightly lit platform.

I need for the bad guys to get their due, and the good guys to wind up on top.

We are so completely surrounded by reality, that I don't need it in my entertainment. I need to know that there is someplace in this world that is "perfect."

As I write, the words "bitter sweet" keep coming to me.

Are those then the only two satisfying options left open to us? Happy and Bitter Sweet?

Lady Dvora said...

"I need for the bad guys to get their due, and the good guys to wind up on top."
^ That I need too^
In some books, an obstacle is throw in the path of the hero/heroine and the story is the tale of them getting over it.
Other stories are "moral" tales. They tell a story with a point behind it.

I'm thinking of the Lord of the Rings.....
that story is full of the darkest predictions and- I mean at the end EVERYONE is SURE they are going to die....but they go down the path anyway. And they go thru a LOT of troubles...but most of them are alive at the end of it. But I consider it a bittersweet ending. They fought and they won, but the victories are tainted by the memories of the sacrifices. Frodo can never go back to where he was before it began, even though he survives it.

Some characters....you know that the choices they have made-for the GOOD- it will cost them their life. So when their life is taken away, you are sad for the lost but you understand that the sacrifice had to be made. -I'm thinking of the Chestry Oak here. Which if you STILL haven't read you really should :)

Then there was a book I read late last year...most of the book was so-so...the main girl was 21st century thought so she annoyed me, but there was a secondary character that was MUCH more interesting. Indian attacks are mentioned through out the book, so when Indians- out of the blue- showed up with tomahawks, I was expecting it...

The Secondary Character was immediatly killed...BAM! She's gone...
It was like she was the expendable crewman. and the MAIN girl! She was sorry her friend was gone, but "Oh well, the child and the guy are ok so I'm happy!"
-I wasn't very happy with her. And that's how the book ends!

Any way.....some 'Happy Endings' aren't so great cause I'm not sure what they did to deserve it, other than to dunk and hide.
There definelty has to be logic behind every choice. Not "I feel like shocking my readers, let's kill someone out of the blue"

Speaking of kill, I just read "And then there were none" by Agatha Christy...*Shivers* DON'T read it at night!